- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Kolar; TALUK: Chikballapur
LOCALITY: Nandidurga (Lat. 13° 22' N; Long. 77° 41' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Nandi; BUS STATION: Nandi. Chikballapur
Nandidurga is the famous fortified hill which rises to a height of 1478 m. As many as six rivers like the Palar, North and South Pennar, Chitravati, Arkavati and Papagni rise in and near about this hillock. Traditionally, this place is called 'Kushmandagiri' for, the sage Kushmanda performed austerities here. The Gangas enjoy the epithet of lords of Nandagiri after this hillock. The Jaina antiquity of the place is attested by a Shravana-tirtha. The place name Anandagiri (Hill of Pleasure) was changed into Nandagiri hill of Nandi, the vehicle of Shiva during the time of the Cholas. The hillock was extensively fortified by the chiefs of Chikballapur and further strengthened by Haider and Tipu after they took it from the Maratha Madhava Rao in 1770 AD. Lord Cornwallis captured Nandidurga in 1791. Later on it was converted into a hill resort by the British officers. Tipu's lodge is a rectangular two-storeyed structure built in east-west orientation measuring 12m x 7m and is situated within a fortified area on the summit of the hill. Constructed of brick, mortar and wood, it has a series of compartments. Towards the east end there is a flight of steps leading to a verandah which in turn leads to the rooms built in the north. The walls accommodate niches and originally appear to have been decorated with paintings. The verandah has pierced balustrades. Tipu Sultan is said to have stayed in this building whenever he visited the place during expedition/hunting.