- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: South Kanara; TALUK: Mangalore
LOCALITY: Boloor (Lat. 12° 50' N; Long. 74° 50' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Mangalore; RAILWAY STATION: Mangalore; BUS STATION: Mangalore
Mangalore, one of the prominent coastal cities in India was an important port town even during the Early Historic times and referred to by Greek geographers, Pliny and Ptolemy of circa 1st century AD. The Alupas, who were feudatories under the Chalukyas of Badami, founded a kingdom in this region which is referred to as Tulu-nadu in the Sangam works and Tulu-vishaya in inscriptions. Mangaluru (Mangalore) had been the capital of the Alupa kingdom during the 7th- 8th centuries. It was once again made capital during the reign of Kulasekhara Alupendra (1160-1220 AD). The Hoysalas under Ballala III (1291-1342 AD) held sway over the region from 1333 AD onwards and it later became a permanent part of Vijayanagara empire around 1345 AD. In 1526 AD, Mangalore was taken over by the Portuguese who after signing several treaties were allowed to construct a factory in Mangalore in 1670. During the first decade of the 18th century, the Nayakas expelled the Portuguese. Later in 1763, Haider Ali captured Mangalore and built a dockyard, but it was captured by the British in 1768. It was taken back by Tipu Sultan in 1794. After the fall of Srirangapatna in 1799, Mangalore once again reverted to the British control.
Sultan Battery, a watch tower, is said to have been built by Tipu Sultan to contain the entrance of battleships of the enemies into the Gurpur river. Though it is a simple watch tower, it looks like a miniature fortress with many musket holes for mounting guns all round.