- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: South Kanara; TALUK: Mangalore
LOCALITY: Bappanad (Lat. 13° 00' N; Long. 74° 48' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Mangalore; RAILWAY STATION: Mangalore; BUS STATION: Mangalore
Inscriptions found in South Kanara region established that the early Alupas, the feudatories of the Kadambas of Banavasi and the Chalukyas of Badami, established their kingdom during 7th century AD in the region. This region is referred to as Tulu-nadu in Sangam works of the early Christian era and Tulu-vishaya in inscriptions. Mangaluru (Mangalore) was the capital of Alupa kingdom during 7th -8th centuries AD and continued to rule upto 13th- 14th century AD. Later, the Hoysalas under Ballala III (1291- 1342 AD) occupied the region until the formation of the Vijayanagara empire around the second quarter of 14th century AD. During the Vijayanagara period, Jainism was much popular in the Tulu-nadu. Erected in the vicinity of the basti around 15th century AD, the manastambha having a square base and fluted shaft is built over a platform of 21'9''x13'. The pillar is carved intricately with Jaina tirthankara reliefs in Kayotsarga posture. The adhisthana is treated with the conventional kumuda mouldings with a prominent kantha.