- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Mandya; TALUK: Srirangapatna
LOCALITY: Srirangapatna (Lat. 12° 26' N; Long. 76°35'' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Srirangapatna; BUS STATION Srirangapatna
An inscription reveals that the temple of Sri Ranganatha was built by a Ganga chieftain by name Tirumalaiah in 984 AD. An inscription of Hoysala Ballala II, dated 1210 AD, establishes the Hoysala participation in the activities of the Ranganatha Temple. Later the village Srirangapatna is said to have been granted by the Hoysala king Vishnuvardhana (1108-1152 AD) to Ramanuja, a Srivaishnava saint, as an agrahara. The Sri Ranaganatha temple axially consists of a garbhagriha, sukanasi, navaranga and mahamanda enclosed by an outer prakara. The temple faces east and is entered through a gateway carrying a huge lime and brick gopura of Vijayanagara period. The mukhamandapa has a hara consisting of kudus and sala sikharas having niches in which different incarnations of Vishnu in stucco are seen. The mahamandapa has pillars of different mouldings. In the rear are two rows of pillars with carvings of 24 forms of Vishnu with their names inscribed. The navaranga has two massive dvarapalas. The sukanasi contains a ceiling with a carved lotus and a pendant. The main deity in the garbhagriha is the collosal image of Vishnu in form of Ranganatha reclining on the coils of adisesha whose widespread seven hoods form a canopy. He is flanked by Sridevi, Bhudevi and Nabi Brahma at the centre. At his foot is the seated image of goddess Lakshmi identified as Kaveri. There are many sub-shrines within the complex dedicate Narasimha, Gopalakrishna, Srinivasa, Hanuman, Garuda, Ranganayaki, Sudersana Chakra and Alwars.