- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Mandya; TALUK: Srirangapatna
LOCALITY: Srirangapatna (Lat. 120 26' N; Long. 760 35' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Srirangapatna; BUS STATION Srirangapatna
The historical and political importance of Srirangapatna increased from 1610 AD onwards when Raja Wodeyar made it seat of his government. During the time of Kanthirava Narasaraja Wodeyar (1638-1659 AD) it was besieged by RanADulla Khan, commander of the Mughal army. Later on, between 1761-1799 AD, under Haider Ali and Tipu Sultan, it became the envy of Britishers. The statue of Kanthirava Narasaraja Wodeyar, one of the great rulers of Mysore, is kept in a sub-shrine to the left of the Narasimhaswamy temple. This statue belonging to 17th century is 1.1 m high and stands on a pedestal. An inscription on the pedestal in Kannada script mentions that it is the statue of Kanthirava Narasaraja Wodeyaravaru. The statue, depicted in Anjali pose, is richly ornamented and carved with a long robe, a sword, shield and a dagger. He was responsible for the construction of Narasimhaswamy temple in the first half of the 17th century. The main deity and the patron king were reinstalled in their original place in 1826 AD by Krishnaraja Wodeyar.