- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Shimoga; TALUK: Shikaripur
LOCALITY: Bandalike (Lat. 14° 45' N Long. 75° 28' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Shimoga; BUS STATION: Shikaripur
Bandalike or Bandanike of the inscriptions, was an important town of Nagarakhanda-70 of the Kadamba kings. It was a well known centre of Kalamukha sect. The importance of the place is well attested by the lithic records of the Rashtrakutas (circa 7th- 8th century AD), later Chalukyas (circa 11th -12th century AD), Kalachuris, Hoysalas (circa 12th century AD), Seunas (circa 13th century AD) and Vijayanagara (circa 15th –16th century AD). It was a prosperous centre in the 11th and 12th centuries during the period of the Chalukyas of Kalyana.
Also known as Anekal Somayya and Boppesvara temple named after one Boppa Setti who caused it in 1274 AD, this is an austere temple with a garbhagriha, a vestibule, a pillared mandapa with an insignificant porch, all arranged in east-west orientation. The entrance doorway to the temple is ornate with as many as four sakhas which at the base sculptural depictions of dvarapalas and female figures. The dvarasakhas are of floral and stambhavariety. The lalatabimba of the lintel has Gajalakshmi. On either side of the door are highly ornate, sculptured, screens which have perforations alternating with narrative friezes depicting select episodes from epics Ramayana and Mahabharata. The sanctum is bereft of any images. The high plinth with conventional mouldings such as upana, high pada, an adho-kumuda, knife edged tripatta kumuda and an urdhva kumuda, accommodate an austere bhitti or wall with a plain madyabhanda. Inside mahamandapa are six niches, two flanking the antarala and three each in the northern and southern walls, the central one being larger of the two at the sides.