- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Shimoga; TALUK: Soraba
LOCALITY: Kubatur (Kotipur) (Lat. 140 30' N; Long. 750 12’ E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru: RAILWAY STATION: Shimoga; BUS STATION: Anavatti
The Parshvanatha basti was constructed in 1017 AD. It has a garbhagriha with a long pillared mandapa in the east. Constructed in laterite blocks the garbhagrihahas a seated image of Jina crowned by a seven-hooded snake, about 1.52 m high with a canopy, flanked by chauri-bearers all in one stone. The exterior walls are plain. There are a few Jaina inscriptions in the premises of the temple referring to the Sallekhana of some Jaina ascetics. A rare inscription in the temple refers to major forms of medieval Indian temples.