- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: South Kanara; TALUK: Mangalore
LOCALITY: Mangalore (Lat. 13o 13’ N; Long. 74° 59’ E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Mangalore; RAILWAY STATION: Mangalore; BUS STATION: Mangalore
Mangalore, one of the prominent coastal cities in India was an important port town right from the Early Historic times until its British occupation in 1799 AD. The origin of the temple of Mangaladevi is not definitely known. The Ballalas of Attavara are said to have constructed a temple and enshrined an image of Shakti, which was inaugurated by Gorakhnatha, a disciple of Matsyendranatha sometime during the 10th century AD. Reconstruction of this temple is also attributed to Kundavarma II, an Alupa ruler, in 968 AD and by one of the Nayakas of Bidnur (Ikkeri) in the 17th century AD. Subjected to much alterations and renovations, the temple on plan has a sandhara garbhagriha, the outer walls of which are pierced by ardhamandapa which in turn opens into a pillared sabhamandapa in south. This is enclosed by a prakara with a mahadvara in south. All along the prakara inside, there are pillared cloisters presently converted into large halls and rooms. In south, the parkara is provided with a mogasale (outer verandah) on either side of the entrance. Similarly, a kaisale (inner verandah) is provided on either side of the passage landing into the central courtyard. Except the garbhagriha, the rest of the structured units have an austere elevation. The garbhagriha has plain adhisthana mouldings and wall. The superstructure of the sanctum is typical of the coastal region where the rainfall is heavy. The massive tiled eaves are supported by heavy wooden beams. The superstructure over the garbhagriha is also provided with similar eaves. The pillars of the sabhamandapa are austere and its mildly offsetted shaft has a squarish capital preceded by a neck. The usual slopy tiled roof is encountered over the sabhamandapa.