- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Shimoga; TALUK: Sagara
LOCALITY: Nadakalsi (Lat. 14° 45' N; Long. 75° 02’ E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Sagara; BUS STATION: Nadakalsi
The area formed part of Banavasi-1200 province and later was under the control of the Chalukyas of Kalyana. Subsequently, Nadakalasi was a flourishing town under the Hoysalas of Dorasamudra from circa 12th century AD. Mallikarjuna and Ramesvara temples, built around 1218 AD by one Baleyanna Vergade, King of Kondanad, facing north are located side by side and represent the non-ornate variety of Hoysala temples. The Mallikarjuna temple is larger of the two, and houses a flat linga. To its right is Sadasiva temple locally known as Ramesvara temple. The Mallikarjuna temple on plan has a garbhagriha, sukanasiand a mukhamandapa. The mukhamandapa has entrances from north, east and west. The pillars in the mukhamandapa are well polished, lathe-turned and multi-fluted. The niches in the mukhamandapa accommodate beautiful sculptures of Saptamatrikas, Ganesha, Mahishamardini and Umamahesvara of Hoysala workmanship. The superstructure over the garbhagriha is of Kadamba Nagara type. The Ramesvara temple is almost oblong and has a narrow pradakshinapatha, without a sukanasi and is connected to a navaranga. This plan is rare in Hoysala temples since the pradakshinapatha is usually a component of southern or Dravidian style. The pillars of the navaranga are well polished and lathe-turned.