- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Mysore: TALUK: T. Narasipura
LOCALITY: Talkad (Lat. 12° 11' N; Long. 77° 02' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Mysore; BUS STATION: Talkad
Known as Dalavanapura and Gajaranya in Sanskrit, Talkad was the capital of the Gangas, who ruled present Mysore, Mandya, Hassan, Bengaluru and Kolar districts from the 4th to 10th century AD, under Gangavadi 96,000. The Gangas were succeeded by the Imperial Cholas, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara and the Mysore Wodeyars.
The Kirthinarayana temple built in 1117 AD, facing easts, over a jagati has on plan has a stellar garbhagriha, an open ardhamandapa and a navaranga with three entrances. The garbhagriha doorways are finely carved in the Hoysala style. The main image of Narayana is impressive and stands on a lotus pedestal in samabhanga. The navaranga is spacious, has lathe-turned pillars and a ceiling adorned by creeper scrolls, lotuses and other floral designs. The temple has a spacious inner prakara. The conservation works of ASI, has completely laid bare an ornate mahadvara mandapa and a couple of sub shrines, balipitha and a well, all buried under heavily accumulated sand-dune.