- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: South Kanara; TALUK: Beltangadi
LOCALITY: Nada and Laila (Lat. 13° 15' N; Long. 75° 22' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Mangalore; RAILWAY STATION: Mangalore; BUS STATION: Beltangadi
Jamalabad, also called Nada was formerly called Narasimhagadi. The present fort was built on the ruins of an old fort by Tipu Sultan in 1794 and he named it after his mother Jamalbee. The fort was captured by the British in 1799, but was shortly taken over by Thimmanayaka. It was finally recaptured by the British in 1800 AD. The fort is situated on the summit of a lofty granite hill 544.1 m high. The flight of steps on the eastern side of the hill is the only approach to the citadel. These steps are cut out of solid rock. The walls, bastions and gateways are built of carefully cut granite blocks. Inside the citadel are two tanks and a small spring. One of the ruined bastions has an iron canon of European manufacture.