- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Shimoga; TALUK: Shikaripur
LOCALITY: Bandalike (Lat. 14° 45’N Long. 75° 28' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Shimoga; BUS STATION: Shiralakoppa
Bandalike or Bandanike of the inscriptions, was an important town of Nagarakhanda-70 of the Kadamba kings. It was a well known centre of Kalamukha sect. The importance of the place is well attested by the lithic records of the Rashtrakutas (circa 7th- 8th century AD), later Chalukyas (circa 11th -12th century AD), Kalachuris, Hoysalas (circa 12th century AD), Seunas (circa 13th century AD) and Vijayanagara (circa 15th –16th century AD). It was a prosperous centre in the 11th and 12th centuries during the period of the Chalukyas of Kalyana. Datable to circa 10th -12th century AD, The Shantinatha Basti in plan has a garbhagriha, an antarala; a four pillared mahamandapa and a thirty two-pillared mukhamandapa all in north-south orientation. The mahamandapa in its southern wall has the devakoshthas on either side of the sukanasi doorwaywhich is also provided with perforated jalis, Datable to the times of Rashtrakuta Krishna (Kannaradeva) the temple reADived endowments by one Jakkiyabbe who was ruling Bandalike in 912 AD. The epigraphs dated to 1200 and 1203 AD record that the basti was rebuilt by a merchant named Boppa Setti. The sanctum is bereft of Jaina images. However, a few mutilated Jaina sculptures are found inside. In elevation, the temple has an austere adhisthana with an upana, pada, adhokumuda, moulding with dentil decorations.In the region of the pillared mandapa the jagati is provided with kakshasana, its exterior treated with lozenge floral decoration held by creeper bands. In the region of sanctum, the bhitti is off setted into ratha and pratiratha projections.