- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Udupi; TALUK: Karkala
LOCALITY: Marpadi (Lat, 13° 15' N; Long. 74° 50' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Mangalore; RAILWAY STATION: Karkala; BUS STATION: Karkala
Mudabidri or Mudabidure referred to as Bidireya-nagara, Venupura and Vamsapura had an eight member merchants guild. It was well-known Centre of Jainism in Tulunadu during the late medieval period. An inscription belonging to the reign of Kulasekhara-III, an Alupa ruler from Mudabidri, 1384 dated AD informs that the king was ruling from Bidire. The place was also the capital of Chutus, the local chiefs.
The palace looks like an insignificant structure with plain exterior The sculptures inside are of superior order. The four wooden pillars are beautifully carved and the wooden ceiling is highly ornate, besides a wooden screen with fine carvings. Two panels namely the Navanari-Kunjara and Panchanari- Turaga are excellent work of art. The first one is a composite carved elephant ingenously made out of the body contour of nine women in various postures, surmounted by a hunter with a bow and arrow. The second one is also a similar carving depicting five composite women forming the body of a horse with a rider.