- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Tumkur, TALUK: Madhugiri
LOCALITY: Madhugiri (Lat. 13° 41' N; Long.70o 10' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Tumkur, BUS STATION: Madhugiri
Madhugiri, was part of the domain of the Gangas and later came under the rule of the Nolambas, Vijayanagara and Mysore kingdom. The ancient vestiges found in Madhugiri apart from the fort include two temples -Venkatramana and Malleswara, built by the Vijayanagara feudatories in the Dravidian style located in village, a Jaina temple on the precincts of the Madhugiri fort and a ruined Gopalakrishna temple on the top of the hill. The erection of the original fort is ascribed to Raja Hera Gauda who hailed from a minor ruling family under the Vijayanagara kings in 15th century AD. In 1678 AD, the fort was captured by Devaraja, the Dalavayi of Mysore. Later Haider Ali extended and further strengthened it.
The fort, built on a hill consisting of one huge mass of rock, is considered to be one of the strongest in south Karnataka. It is built of cyclopean granite set in lime mortar and enclosed by parapet, it accommodates a few secular buildings near the foot hills including a pillared mandapa. A Jain temple is located in the precincts, abutting to the fort wall. The ruins of Gopalakrishna temple is also found on the top of the hill. There are a number of springs within the fort. These reservoirs are provided with brick build steps. There are several gates leading to the top of the hill such as Antarala-bagilu, Diddi-bagilu, the Mysore gate, etc. The fortification in the north had a series of bastions and battlements with musket holes.