- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Shimoga; TALUK: Tirtahalli
LOCALITY: Kavaledurga (Lat. 14° 08' N; Long. 76° 01' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Sagar; BUS STATION: Kavaledurga
Kavaledurga, also called Bhuvanagiri was a stronghold of the Nayakas of Keladi who were the feudatories under the Vijayanagara rulers and later became independent after the fall of the Vijayanagara kingdom. Venkatappa Nayaka (1582-1629 AD) fortified the place, built a palace, amahattina matha, a Sringeri matha, a treasury, a granary, stables for elephants and horses and ponds and made it an agrahara. The fort at Kavaledurga has three walls, which are constructed of huge granite blocks following the natural contour of the hillock. Each fortification has a gateway flanked by guard’s rooms on either side. As each fortification is at a higher level than the other, they are reached by flight of steps. In between each fortification there are temples, a ruined palace site and basement of undefined structures. At the summit of the hill almost at the Centre overlooking the western sea is asmall temple popularly known as Srikanteshvara or Srikantesvara temple. The Srikantesvara temple on plan has a garbhagriha, a nandimandapa and an entrance porch commanding a fine view of the setting sun beyond the western horizon. The palace site within the fort has ornate basement of a large terraced structure. There are remnants of a staircase leading to the upper storey of the structure.