- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Bengaluru; TALUK: Devanahalli
LOCALITY: Devanahalli (Lat. 13° 10' N; Long. 77° 40'E)
Devanahalli appears to have been a small village named Devanadoddi, after Deva, its headman. Malla Bairegauda, a son of one of the refugees from Kanchi who settled in Avati, with the consent of Deva Gowda, built the fort about the year 1501 AD. Subsequently, in 1747 AD the fort passed into the hands of Wodeyars of Mysore, which was conquered many times from the Marathas and later came under the control of Haider Ali and Tipu Sultan. The present fort is ascribed to Haider and Tipu Sultan and it was the favourite hunting place for Tipu Sultan which incidentally was his birth place as well. The roughly oval east-oriented fortification veneered with dressed masonry has as many as 12 semi-circular bastions at regular intervals. A spacious battlement is provided towards the inner side of the fortification. The fort is provided with entrances in east and west decorated with cut plaster work. The bastions are provided with gun points built in brick and lime.