- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Shimoga; TALUK: Hosanagar
LOCALlTY: Basavanabyne (Lat, 13° 49' N; Long. 75o 02' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Shirnoga; BUS STATION: Nagar
Located 4 km south of Nagar (Bidanur) it was a suburb of the Keladi kingdom whose capital was shifted from Ikkeri to Nagar around 1640 AD. A small natural stream flows into the horse-shoe shaped valley. Ponds and well have been constructed in a large courtyard measuring 86.93 x 29.89 m. approached by a flight of steps from the east and west. These ponds called Devaganga ponds were once the sporting ground of the Keladi royal family. There are totally seven ponds of which one has stellate and another lotus shaped bottom. Between the first and second ponds are stone pillars. Towards the northern end is the largest of the ponds which measures 25.32x17.69 m. A stone drain leads water from this pond to a second pond with a square bottom. Towards the southern end is the bathing place paved with stone. The flight of steps on the western side of the courtyard leads to a small shrine with linga near which is an oblong basement with evidence of some rooms.