- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Udupi; TALUK: Karkala
LOCALITY: Karkala (Lat. 13° 10' N; Long. 74° 59' E)
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Mangalore; RAILWAY STATION: Mangalore; BUS STATION: Karkala
Karkala or ancient Pandyanagari attained political and cultural importance from the time of Kalasa-Karkala or the Bhairarasa Odeyas (13th to 16th century AD) who appear to be descendant of the Santara chiefs, ruling over the Western Ghat region in about 10th -11th century AD . The Chaturmukha Basti was built around 1586 AD by Bhairavendra II, the Kalasa-Karkala ruler. This is the most celebrated structural temple in Karkala and is referred to as Tribhuvana-tilaka-Jina-Caityalaya and Ratnatraya-dhamain inscriptions. The basti is cruciform in plan and has four identical looking entrances from the four quarters leading to the garbhagriha and hence is popularly known as 'Chaturmukha Basti'. The Chaturmukha Basti is built in the form of a square mandapa, with a lofty doorway and pillared portico on each of its four sides and a pillared verandah running all round over which rests a massive eave. The roof is flat and formed of massive granite slabs. It has life size statues of three Tirthankaras besides small images of 24 Tirthankaras and Padmavati Yakshi in black stone.