- About Us
- Recent Activity
- Contact Us
DISTRICT: Mandya; TALUK: Srirangapatna
LOCALITY: Srirangapatna(Lat. 12° 26' N; Long. 76° 35’'E )
APPROACH: AIRPORT: Bengaluru; RAILWAY STATION: Srirangapatna; BUS STATION Srirangapatna
After the collapse of Vijayanagara empire in 1565 AD, the Mysore Wodeyar declared independence under Raja Wodeyar in 1610 AD and made Srirangapatna, the seat of their government. It ultimately became the capital of Haider Ali and Tipu Sultan till and was captured by the British in 1799 AD. The ancient palace site and remains are located to the north east of Ranganathaswami temple. It was also called Lal Mahal. The raised mound with remains of a lime-pilastered brick plinth, represents the remains of Tipu's palace. Buchanan who visited Srirangapatna in 1800 AD has left a glowing account of the structure. In its heyday, the structure contained huge halls, rooms and apartments. Part of this structure is exposed, revealing a pillared room, a hall and portion of a flight of steps from the west. A considerable portion to the east is still buried.